A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Freeebie!

I really like the story Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. It turned out to be one of my students favorite storties as well. I think one of the reasons this story is so enjoyable is becasue having a bad day is something we can all relate to. I read this story to my class with the intention of having them relate the text to self for a writing activity. I ended up coming up with a worksheet to help them recall details from the story as well. You can get both of those pages for free here. I also created a craft for Alexander's face and hair to go with this writing activity. The students really enjoyed the finishing touch of adding gum to Alexander's hair. Yes we used real gum, and yes I know the thought of letting students chew up gum then stick it on their paper may sound gross, disgusting and yucky,  seem a little different, but hey, it was a good behavior incentive all week (they had to be on their best behavior to get to add the finishing touch) and i'm sure it's an activity they will remember for years to come.  You can get the pattern for the face and hair craft for free here.

Here are some pictures of our activity:


Up close view of the Alexander face and hair craftivity.



 Display of completed work in the hallway outside my classroom.










A closer look at the craft and writing activity.


Poor Alexander and the gum in his hair. 

...Happy Friday tomorrow, I sure hope your day won't be anything like Alexander's!!



Comments